“Get finished” scholarship for doctoral students from countries of the Global South at the University of Bonn
19/05/2020 12:00 am
What is the goal of the funding line?
The scholarships are aimed at doctoral students from countries of the Global South (see DAC list) who are obtaining a doctorate at the University of Bonn and who are about to complete their doctoral dissertation project. As part of the Excellence Strategy, the University of Bonn wants to provide funding to qualified international doctoral students and support them in successfully completing their doctorate.
Who is eligible for funding?
Doctoral students from countries of the Global South (see DAC list, exceptions possible only in substantiated cases) who are obtaining a doctorate at the University of Bonn and who are expecting to complete their doctorate within the following 6 months. Funding is only possible up to the submission date of the doctoral thesis (not during the preparation for the doctoral viva and doctoral defense). The scholarship is not open to doctoral students who are researching for a shorter period of time and who do not plan to remain at the University of Bonn and to international students already receiving a scholarship for the same period of time and for the same purpose. Part-time work is only permitted following agreement with the International Office and to a limited extent (up to €450 per month).
What is the scope of the funding?
The funding can cover the following:
- A scholarship of €800 per month (family allowance, contributions towards insurance, additional travel and material expenses are, unfortunately, not possible)
- The funding period is 6 months maximum.
What are the selection criteria?
- Quality and status of the doctoral thesis
- Expected successful doctorate within 6 months
- Nationality of a country of the Global South (see DAC list)
Who submits the application?
The application can be submitted by the doctoral student or the doctoral advisor.
What is the application time frame?
Ongoing; applications are accepted starting May 15, 2020
How is the application submitted?
Via an online application form available at the original announcement website.
What does the application include?
- Letter of recommendation by the doctoral advisor (max. one DIN A4 page, including short outline of the working plan for the funding period)
- Curriculum vitae
- Valid student identity card or confirmation of admission to doctoral studies
Please visit this website for the original announcement on the website of the University of Bonn. Scholarships are funded by the University of Bonn within the framework of the excellence strategy of the federal and state governments.
International Students and Study Programs
Phone: +49 228 73-9527