Financing your PhD

Funding for the PhD candidate is usually provided by the supervisor’s research group itself, in which the doctoral thesis is carried out. Salaries may vary and should be clarified in detail with the supervisor. Contracts are awarded in consultation with the supervisor and the organisation to which the supervisor belongs (i.e. university, Max Planck or Helmholtz research institute).

Further information on the topic ‘How to finance your PhD’ are available on the DAAD website.

You can find doctoral positions and funding opportunities for doctoral students on the following pages:

Costs: Enrolment and tuition fees: In Germany, public universities do not usually charge tuition fees. The costs for these institutions are borne by the German taxpayer. However, students who are enrolled at a university must pay a „semester fee“ each semester and receive a student ID card. This student ID serves as a semester ticket for low-cost or free use of public transport and allows students reduced admission to the refectory and many other facilities such as cinemas, theatres, swimming pools, museums, etc.. It also offers the opportunity to live in a student hall of residence. There are no fees for participation in the Bonn International Graduate School of Neuroscience.

Transport: Bonn and the surrounding areas offer an excellent public transport system such as . Students with a student ID can use public transport including buses, trams and trains free of charge throughout NRW. Non-student employees can purchase a JobTicket for the Bonn/Cologne area until they receive their student ID. Depending on the extent of the area, the price is significantly lower than the usual cost for local public transport. For more information about the JobTicket (e.g. the exact price, conditions and forms), please contact the institution where you are employed.

Literature: Most of the literature you will need in the course of the program is available electronically. 

Housing & Living: Your expenses for housing and living in Bonn depend on your lifestyle and personal preferences. However, you should plan on a total of €800 per month on average for your accommodation and living expenses.

Nach oben scrollen