Institute of Cellular Neurosciences
University of Bonn Medical Center
D- 53127 Bonn
Phone +49 (0) 228 287-14669
Fax +49 (0) 228 287-19121
Curriculum vitae Professor Dr. Christian Steinhäuser
We investigate the properties of NG2 glial cells and astrocytes and their role in information processing. Comparative analyses are performed in different brain regions (hippocampus, thalamus, cortex) to understand how astrocyte heterogeneity impacts neural signalling. The role of gap junction coupling in adult neurogenesis is investigated in the dentate gyrus. A main project focuses on the question how dysfunctional astrocytes contribute to the pathogenesis of human and experimental temporal lobe epilepsy.
We apply the patch-clamp technique to cells in acute brain slices or freshly isolated cells. Electrophysiological analyses are combined with single-cell transcript analyses and two photon imaging.
5 most important publications
1. Bedner P, Dupper A, Hüttmann K, Müller J, Herde MK, Dublin P, Deshpande T, Schramm J, Häußler U, Haas C, Henneberger C, Theis M, Steinhäuser C. (2015) Astrocyte uncoupling as a cause of human temporal lobe epilepsy. Brain, 138: 1208-1222.
2. Kunze A, Congreso MR, Hartmann C, Wallraff-Beck A, Hüttmann K, Bedner P, Requardt R, Seifert G, Redecker C, Willecke K, Hofmann A, Pfeifer A, Theis M, Steinhäuser C. (2009) Connexin expression by radial glia-like cells is required for neurogenesis in the adult dentate gyrus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 106: 11336-11341.
3. Wallraff A, Köhling R, Heinemann U, Theis M, Willecke K, Steinhäuser C. (2006) The impact of astrocytic gap junctional coupling on potassium buffering in the hippocampus. J Neurosci, 26: 5438-5447.
4. Seifert G, Schilling K and Steinhäuser C. (2006) Astrocyte dysfunction in neurological disorders: A molecular perspective. Nat Rev Neurosci, 7: 194-206.
5. Bezzi P, Gundersen V, Galbete JL, Seifert G, Steinhäuser C, Pilati F, Volterra A. (2004) Astrocyte contain A vesicular compartment that is competent for regulated exocytosis of glutamate. Nat Neurosci, 7: 613-620.