Group Leader, Translational Dementia Research
German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE)
Phone +49 (0) 228 43302-450
Curriculum vitae Professor Dr. Anja Schneider
We investigate extracellular vesicles (EVs) in neurodegenerative diseases. We are especially interested in EV mediated release of toxic, aggregated proteins, such as a-Synuclein, the determinants of their sorting into EVs and the contribution of their release to toxicity and propagation of disease pathology throughout the brain. We also explore physiological functions of EVs in the CNS, e.g. the effects of oligodendroglial EVs, using primary cell culture and mouse models. Furthermore, we are interested in oligodendroglial pathology in neurodegenerative diseases.
In addition, we are focus on the detection of novel biomarkers from blood and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) which may enable diagnosis and prognosis of neurodegenerative diseases in the prodromal or even preclinical stage.
5 most important publications
1. Bartels C, Wolfsgruber S, Wagner M, Ehrenreich H, Schneider A. (2018) Impact of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor therapy on risk of conversion from mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer’s dementia in individuals with previous depression. Am J Psychiatry, 175(3): 232-241.
2. Stuendl A, Kunadt M, Kruse N, Bartels C, Moebius W, Danzer KM, Mollenhauer B, Schneider A.(2016) Induction of α-synuclein aggregate formation by CSF exosomes from patients with Parkinson’s disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. Brain, 139: 481-494.
3. Kunadt M, Eckermann K, Strauss K, Rai S, Kügler S, Stündl A, Lockhart LF, Schwalbe M, Krumova P, Oliveira L, Bähr M, Möbius W, Ludolph AC, Levin J, Giese A, Kruse N, Mollenhauer B, Geiss-Friedlander R, Freischmidt A, Feiler M, Danzer KM, Zweckstetter M, Jovin T, Simons M, Weishaupt JH, Schneider A. (2015) Sumoylation regulates exosomal sorting of alpha-Synuclein for extracellular release. Acta Neuropathologica, 129: 695-713.
4. Strauss K, Goebels C, Moebius W, Weiss S, Runz H, Feussner I, Simons M, Schneider A. (2010) Exosome secretion bypasses lysosomal storage of cholesterol in Niemann-Pick type C disease. J Biol Chem, 285: 26279-26288.
5. Rajendran L, Schneider A, Schlechtingen G, Weidlich S, Ries J, Braxmeier T, Schwille P, Schulz JB, Schroeder C, Simons M, Jennings G, Knoelker HJ, Simons K. (2008) Efficient inhibition of the Alzheimer’s disease β-secretase by membrane targeting. Science, 320: 520-523.